Friday, October 10, 2008

Motherhood: Not for the Weak

I must admit, I was one of the skeptical ones. I heard about mothers including my own sister who stayed home all day with their child and yet they were still tired at the end of the day. I have learned my lesson about that one, however(see Mom for a Day). I suppose I still had some learning to do about the who motherhood job detail.
My neice stayed at my house a couple of weekends ago, and my sister sent her playpen along. Well the early(10:00am) Monday morning my sister called and asked if I would bring it to her, as she was in desperate need for it. Lucky for me, it was already disassembled and ready for me to grab as I dashed out the door. I grabbed at it with one hand and was immediately startled by how heavy it was. I latched both hands onto it, but since it is made of rather slippery material I could barely keep a hold on it. Also it's rather long shape made it even more awkward to carry. I as I grunted and heaved out the door I couldn't help but think what were the maker's thinking when they made this? As a mother you'd have to do weight training 4 hours a day to transport that thing. I mean husbands are not always around to haul the playpen from place to place.

Here I am struggling with the awkard playpen.

This incident reminds me of another one that happened this past summer. My sister and brother-in-law headed up to Orlando for a couple of days to celebrate their anniversary. Of course they left the child behind. She also left her stroller behind. It was one of those big ones that can fold up into a surprisingly small bundle. I thought it would be so delightful to take a morning stroll with the child in tow. I took out the stroller and was sure that just one tug would have it unfolded and rolling in no time. This was not the case. I yanked, I pulled, I pushed and shoved from the other side. I kicked and karateed but the strolled wouldn't budge. Finally my other sister came out to help. We both grabbed an end and pulled in opposite directions....NOTHING. We continued pushing shoving pulling, kicking, grunting, and even screaming. We were just about to give up on the whole walk idea when the stroller gave way. I'm not sure what made it work, maybe it was too weak to keep on figting us but we had one the battle. We were fully prepared to plop the baby in the seat and stroll off into the bright morning sun. However, the stroller would not hear of this kind of leisure. The back of it refused to go upright, so that the baby would either have to lie down for the ride(not happening) or hold herself upon the side(again not happening). My sister and I tried all of the proven tactics once again, but to no avail. Finally in a fit of sweaty frustration we stuffed a couple pillows in the back and headed of into hot morning with a stubborn, ghetto stroller, and a disgruntled attitude.
I can now only say that mother hood is not for the weak. Eat your wheaties, you moms-to-be!

2 comments:

  1. Awww...thanks Eric. I know that you didn't write this for me but I have felt that way a lot of time. "I should not be tired, I have been home all day..." It is hard work! But full of rewards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha.
    you say you dont write?
    i beg to differ.

    i want this for the Herron.

    PLEASE!!!

    ReplyDelete